Published on November 18th, 2021
The 2021 Hospice Regattas Championship, an invitational regatta open only to skippers nominated by local hospice regattas, will be held November 19-21 in Charleston, SC. Eleven teams representing 10 different hospice regattas will compete for the Virginia Brown Inspiration Trophy, named in honor of the woman who co-founded the first hospice regatta in Annapolis in 1982.
Sponsored by the National Hospice Regatta Alliance and hosted by the College of Charleston Sailing Association, the competition will occur in J/22s.
Hospice regattas are charity events that engage sailors and other supporters in raising funds and awareness for non-profit hospices serving their communities. The Alliance is a voluntary network that shares know-how and provides services to foster the success of hospice regattas.
“We are encouraged to see how many hospice regattas have been held in 2021, even if it meant limiting social gatherings,” said Alliance president Mark LeNeave. “That’s the approach we’re taking for this Championship — focusing on competitive racing, to applaud the sailors who participate and to celebrate the hospices they support.”
Registered Competitors – by site of local hospice regatta:
• Ryan Gaskin, SC-Hartwell Lake
• James Greenfield, CT-Mystic/Long Island Sound
• Bryan Hunt, WV-Summersville Lake
• Ned Johnston, ME-Mt Desert Island (2019 Champion)
• Mackenzie Kaufman, OH-Sandusky
• Pete Marriott, NC-Lake Norman
• Fredrik Salvesen, MD-Annapolis
• Win Schwab, VA-Turkey Shoot/Rappahannock
• Steve Shaw, NC-Lake Norman
• Tom Tomlinson, NY-Jefferson County
• Clint Webb, TN-Nashville